Sunday, June 7, 2009

First things Nerf

Howdy,

Today's rehearsal began with Dunkin Donuts and a Nerf football. Feed the soul and create a safe environment in which to play. That is the goal of rehearsal, at least today. The atmosphere was playfully productive. A little catch. Dialect warm up. And a run.
At the end of the run. The element that was missing, slightly, is the scope of the 'event'. The Honeymoon in a treehouse. The size of that and what it means to each character. As the actors become more familiar with the events of the play, it seems only natural to find fascination - as I do watching each day in the new details, details the character may not actually be aware of in the moment because it is the first time they are in a treehouse with the person they love. It is very challenging to keep that first time, true first time, presence of experiencing something for the first time, fresh. 
After the run, I went back and reviewed three sections of the play remembering what the discovery was of the 'stakes' and action, the first time we did the scenes - back at The Public. Not to duplicate them, but to re-examine the impulse. Those three scenes re-connected us with the essence of being in the 'event' for the first time.
I think Eric T. kept expecting some exercise for actors with the Nerf.  I just brought it to remind me to keep the room light and playful. Mission accomplished.
Tomorrow is the last day in the rehearsal room. There will be a run-through of the play. Some notes. Looking at any sections that will help ground their work before we enter tech.  It is absolutely time to move into the theater. However, I will miss the safe, private time I have had with Scott, Jessica, Eric T.,  and Jamie D. It is an honor to live in and care for the world of this play with them. I look forward to expanding that world, however, I have to acknowledge I will miss this time together.

Goodnight,
Padraic

3 comments:

KARENVALLARIO said...

i am looking forward to seeing the play again this year. i saw it last year and my idea of a great production is that after you experience it you are different than you were when you got there. that's what happened to me last year. when i left i had the burning question in my heart "WHY DO YOU WANT ME". would you still LOVE ME IF
IF i became crippled
IF i couldn't perform sexually
IF i could't do for you what i think i should
IF i couldn't feel you were lucky to have me
what if everybody thought "BOY SHE IS SO LUCKY TO HAVE HIM AND NOT
"HE IS LUCKY TO HAVE HER".
I came to SWEET STORM unconscious of those questions in my heart and I have not been the same since. Also every MANS dilema how can i convince THIS woman---SHE IS THE ONE FOR ME ONLY HER FOR ME.
I CAN'T WAIT TO COME THIS SUMMER and see it again. Scott Hudson and his work has that effect on a person---you will be changed for the better. MUST SEE!!!

Jewdee said...

Hey Padraic,
The questions Karen V addressed brings forth some of the storm that is swirling inside Ruthie and Bo. Is this part of the ugliness that Bob Saxner addressed a few days ago?
Jamie and Eric will show the audience unconditional love ... they did it before... it comes from within...and they have it.... the ugliness of the storm is blown away by unconditional love, accepting and loving each other as they are.
There is always a calm in the eye of the storm, and the storm itself will swirl into a sweet one!! We know this Sweet Storm will be at it's best. We're pulling for all of you!! Jewdee

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks