Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pre - First Day

Howdy,

Okay, the first day of rehearsal is this afternoon. Yesterday at the going away for Lexi Croucher I got to see Scott Hudson, in person for the first time in months. It got me very excited for rehearsal. At some point there will be a blog posting about the limitations of a development workshop of a play - or maybe that element will be woven into all of the posts. But all of the limitations went away when I saw him walking toward me in the park and was reminded that ultimately what a pleasure it is to work on a new play, and how exciting it is to direct someone's first play.
Had a great conversation with Betsy about sound and how to confront the complexities of a hurricane inside the environment of a workshop - and how to address the needs of the play with minimal technical support. We will probably have a very specific beginning with many layers of sound to establish place and situation - and then the storm will only be present as needed for the story. Because of the limitations of the equipment, it is better to have key elements instead of having a lot elements that sound like 'ass' - is how I look at it.
Martin has an exciting set - ground plan for the process. I talked with Lea this morning - and Sarah and I are talking during first break.
Well its off the rehearsal - two things I wanted to say when I started this blog today: I hope the actors will post blogs about their experience. I talked with Julian who plays "Dick" in Penalties & Interests and his blog postings are brilliant. Chech those out if you can. The other thing I wanted to remind myself is that SWEET STORM is a beautiful and important play and to remember to take the same risk in addressing the vulnerability that it required for two people to come together and to possibly understand what it is to experience the love of another.

Talk with after rehearsal.

Padraic

No comments: