Friday, May 29, 2009

Let's go Nuggets!


Howdy,

Today was our last day of having our P.A. Keenan. He is from Colorado, graduating high school and will be attending NYU this fall as a theater major. He was a great help. Awesome support to Jessica in every way. Mainly setting up and taking down the rehearsal room everyday. He got hooked up with us because his mom met Phil's mom on a flight from Denver to Rochester, or the other way around. It turns out he knows Phil's sister Emily's daughter - Maddy. I put that in there because it is a small world and I like that the connection spans three generations. Thank you Keenan for everything. Hope to see you at Opening.
Andrea came back today and watched a run through. It is a gift to watch her do what she does. Dialect and text work is obviously her calling. She talked with Jamie and Eric T. about how to use the rhythm shifts in the language to help support the story and inner conflicts. She actually said it smarter. All her notes were right totally in line with the internal notes Scott and I have been talking about. Very helpful.
The last two days have been very good. Simple connection between the actors. Simple may be the wrong word. Effortless is how it is appearing.
We look forward to Kate Rafey joining the room on Tuesday.
Today I did something I don't remember ever doing...though I think I might've for The Dirty Talk. I took the weekend off. The actors are achieving excellent work. If we went into tech on this coming Tuesday I would still be rehearsing. With it a week a way, the best idea seemed to give them some time to digest Andrea's notes, to get fully off book, and to give them some personal time. We have a week left in the rehearsal room - it is important to keep the work fresh. I have faith Jamie D. and Eric T. will use this time to reflect on the work. I don't think the connection to the material will dissipate.
I will take the extra day off and run the Brooklyn Half Marathon and to check out Maggie Bofill's play FACECREAM at EST's Marathon.
Goodnight,
Padraic

1 comment:

The Barr Family said...

Fun to read this! I loved when I heard Keenan would be working with you. He is very lucky to be part of this process. I hope he gets to see the show. I so enjoy reading about the development. Everything sounds like its falling into place. Your comments comparing running a race to working hard to make this show happen are spot on. I think running a race can be compared to so much of what we do in life and being able to notice the path or the journey as much as the finish line is what its all about.