Monday, May 25, 2009

Fleet Week Complete

Howdy,

We ended the first week of rehearsal today by going through the first half of the play. The growth of the script and life of the characters is wonderful.  We have found some nice details in the moment to moment work that really strengthens the surprise of the stakes for the characters. In the past, with other plays and this one probably, I've been hesitant to find moments where the stakes drops and people are just talking, gossiping, getting along joyfully - especially in a two character play, because it is hard to define the stakes of those moments. And the conflict. This week has been a maturing for myself in this fashion because it is in those moments that we see that Bo and Ruthie truly belong together and the stakes come out expressing that. Eric T. and Jamie D. are finding the vulnerability that comes with letting your guard down - and never relinquishing what's at stakes, or what that lowered guard was there to protect. I'm glad I'm growing with the play.
The play is dependent on detailed work and everytime - last summer, Clark, and now - I tend to want more set pieces and actual props then is normal for a rehearsal. This is because the detail gets so strong that the play wants to move to 'reality' for behavior sake as soon as possible. We have most of what is required. There are a few things that still need to be discovered. I look forward to Sarah coming into the room on Wednesday to get her perspective.
Because the actors are ahead of schedule in rehearsal - I'm taking a page from the Clark production. Having all of us set goals for our work. The next rehearsal, the next week, and the run. My main goal is to stay focused on the development of the world of the play... and to tell the story. Oh, and also - Equity requires a 'fight choreographer' because Bo has to carry Ruthie... it seems silly. However, I like unions and what they do me and all their memebers - So I won't question it. The best thing that comes from it is that Qui will be coming during tech to help with the lifts. The quality of people involved just keeps getting better and better.
I wish everyone a wonderful Memorial Day.

Goodnight,
Padraic

No comments: