Friday, May 15, 2009

In Town

Howdy,

Scott Hudson and Lea are both in town from Florida. It is very exciting that the work is beginning in earnest. Lea is shopping for costumes, measuring the stage, arranging for a rehearsal bed...all good stuff. Scott is speaking at Maggie Flannigan's open house for her acting studio about the play, and probably about the genius that is Maggie.
The set that took weeks of getting to the bare essence and three bids to get within budget apparently took a day to built. It is built and in Ken's shop. It looks very exciting. I won't post pictures yet to keep an element of surprise.
I do want to take minute to acknowledge people who helped on the last production that may not be part of this time around. Lauren - congrats on graduating U. of Michigan. Becky - hope summer off from Amherst is awesome for you. David Jackson - son of  a preacher man, stop by when ever you can. And Martin, thank you. I saw him in the 'hood today and told him we did too good of a job in our workshop. Everyone believes they saw the whole set before and they also believe we can do it with nothing. The mechanics of our work were transparent and the result successful. I also appreciate your thought about camo-netting - which is also Lea's thought. Hearing it from you today confirm in my mind something I could picture... is in fact the way to go. 
I'm sure there are others that helped that may not be mentioned in this email. I hope you will be part of making this production possible. All of you are part of this project always. And I'm grateful to those we've met along the way and have been added to the family of the play. Leah and Dan from Clark, I can't wait to introduce you to Jamie and Eric T. I'm very glad to have Kate Rafey to be joining Jessica in bringing this play to life. There is something from every aspect of development connected to this play. As we enter into the beginning of rehearsal it is clear that the love and effort contributed by all the artists at Bennington, Clark, Alchemy, and The LAByrinth family are tightly woven into the fabric of this play. That is the beauty this play inspires... the faith and willingness to share yourself fully with another.

goodnight,
Padraic

1 comment:

Jewdee said...

Hi Padraic!
It was raining yesterday in central Florida. As I looked out my window, the wind blowing and the hard shower of rain turned my thoughts to the storm brewing again in NY. I am excited that the producers have confidence in Sweet Storm and all those involved.
Storms pass through all of our lives, often by fear and the unknown. The message in Sweet Storm shows that love and trust can be the strength in the eye of a storm. Thank you for the passion you have shown in directing and bringing to life this message, through the characters of Bo and Ruthie.
I wish you, Scott, Eric and Jamie, as well as the entire team of all who are involved in Sweet Storm, the very best in the weeks to come!
To all who attend this production, hold on tight... the winds of Sweet Storm are certain to lift you up and rip away the very strings of your heart! The Very Best, Jewdee