Tuesday, November 25, 2008

God is in the details

Howdy,

I was invited to Clark to work on this play with students because my friend who teaches here saw the presentation at The Public LAB series in June. I realize now that our designers were so good, so good, that he didn't realize how hard the play is. By that I mean...where are you going to get 50 gardenias, and these sound cues, and wait...the clothes get chocolate on them every night, and she has to change clothes on stage? I mention all of this because our designers were so good that few people noticed all the detail in finding the right dress, the right nightgown, the right pair of boxers...all of it. Because working with students in a 'workshop' no one is specifically in charge of anything. So, the phrase I keep repeating is "Yes, the clothes are simple, but they have to be specific." You can substitute the word 'clothes' with any other that applies to the play.
I'm not complaining - just grateful for the efforts of others.

Also, I'm watching the specifics of the actors, and how lazer specific the internal life needs to be great in a play. Pushing Leah - the actress playing Ruthie to get specific when Bo is pushing her to tell him what she wants...In trying to get her to name the one thing that would make her happy...She named being able to 'successfully' consummate the marriage. And it took a while to get that answer, I didn't know it was the answer - I actually thought the answer was " I don't know" but wanted to push so she could feel the frustration of not knowing...but when that answer came out, it helped to clarify how she is listening. It also made the stakes and fears specific for her. And I realized, yes, when I don't know...there is always a specific tartget of need, want, or fear...and that specificness is what makes the behavior in acting exciting and engaging.

Scott's rewrite is great. It took the actors a couple of days to make it not jarring to my ear to hear something new. And now that have a sense of ownership of it...the change is very powerful. That Scott Hudson is a feckin' good writer.

Goodnight,

Padraic

No comments: