Saturday, December 6, 2008

UP and UP

Howdy,

The production/workshop at Clark is up and running. It opened last night and was tremendous. The actors really are giving it their all and is a lovely piece for young actors. The one thing that is great about Sweet Storm is it holds what ever ability you have and supports that story. But as the actors get more specific and go deeper - it will tell that story too. And from all reports the second night...which I missed. We rehearsed today at noon, working a few points, mainly finding points of release for Ruthie, where she doesn't have to hold back. She found them. And from all reports it went even better today than yesterday. Which is all anyone can ask. Both actors called me seperately after the show to say how good the other actor was. That was fantastic. Also, Leah pointed out the feeling in the beginning of the play of the audience thinking Bo is so nice and that Ruthie is a little whiney helped her because that energy - she realized is probably what happens to these characters in real life. Bo is considered great for marrying and caring for a sick girl, and she doesn't appear grateful enough. I liked hearing it as an acting tool...and as an accurate journey the audience goes on with the two of them.

One note for the next full production - Clark got fake gardenias...and boy those are impressive flowers. It makes the whole room look fuller and about the burst. At Clark we had a similiar set as at The Public but with interesting flats and the stage was raised a foot off the ground. We were able to convey the idea of height and climbing into the tree house. Still no trapdoor - but the elevation was realized. And it does help tell the story.

I hope the play happens in NYC - and that the Clark team gets to meet the NYC team. I know the Leah, Dan, and Kate Rafey - the stage manager - would love it.

Goodnight,
Padraic

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Padraic...
I am happy to see the show up and running at Clark. Couldn't help but jump in and make a comment or two about Ruthie. I have known from the beginning that Ruthie does not relate to me; but... I do relate to Ruthie. It bothers me when I hear that the audience reads Ruthie as being whiney and/or ungrateful to Bo and his desire to love her in sickness and in health.
#1, I don't believe Ruthie is ungrateful nor should she be viewed as whiney. I believe that the underlining factor is "fear". To be cut down at a young vibrant age, physically and emotionally and having to recognize one's helplessness and dependence on another is certainly a challenge. Plus, having to receive that help from your new husband, your friend and your lover... is a triple wammy! To me, the "whiney" character should be viewed as a timid and shy one; the ungrateful character is truly one that is overflowing with fear, not knowing how to subdue the fear.. and comes across as being ungrateful.
I believe this story is about unconditional love. Not given by one and received by one; but given by two and received by two... of course Bo is the hero... the savior... the strong gentle giant. But Ruthie is a heroin, as well. She is broken in body but strong in spirit and in love. There is only a story of love when the love is given and received by both characters... love enough to give and love enough to receive.
For years I have been told by many, how lucky and blessed I am to have a "Bo in my own life". I agree. I am blessed and I am grateful. 87% of marriages who deal with any type of disability do not last. I believe the results are because, dealing with disabilities and the responsibilities that go along with it are not separated from the main fact of unconditional love, by both people.
When others did remind me that most men would not have remained in a marriage such as ours, they did not realize how less a woman they made me feel. I am sure, Ruthie is feeling much like this; that, she has little or nothing to offer.
A turning point to me was when I finally realized that God loved ME enough that He gave me the man in my life who is so very special. And, that I am special too! The love we have for one another has been unconditional!
I believe Ruthie & Bo portray their unconditional love for one another and as the play continues to develop, the audience will grasp it as well!
Smooth sailing and good wishes in the calm of this Sweet Storm! Jewdee

Padraic Lillis said...

Jewdee,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and feelings witht his blog, me, and all that care about this play. Your detailed explanation is so generous. For the record I would like to say 'whiney' may have been laziness on my part for a choice of word. But there is something in the structure of the play that doesn't quite know why Ruthie is reacting the way she is and it takes them a while for them to fully appreciate all that she may be feeling. One reason is because Scott has done such a wonderful job of not having either character mention polio during the play; so it tends the take the audience about 8 - 10 pages to fully realize what they are witnessing. That discovery is part of beauty of the play.

I agree 100% that this play is about unconditional love on both character's parts. And it works best when both of them feel fortunate to have the other's love.

I'm not going to comment in too much detail about your description of 'fear' but everyone you so accurately describe - and personalize, are the elements that we try to tackle in rehearsal. Those are the challenges for any future Ruthie - and what makes the play so rich to work on. Your comment confirms what we are trying to do...and I hope with each production of this play we get a little closer.

I'm so glad this play has a continued life...and I hope it happens again and again.